Saturday, January 9, 2010

Puma sales experience

I have this rather peculiar habit of shopping for apparel as when I find something nice enough, irrespective of whether or not I need it at that time. Thanks to this, it is very easy to find something in my wardrobe in mint condition and packed, at any given point in time. In the last 12 months, this has extended to shoes as well. This is specially odd considering i haven't spent on more than one formal and one casual piece of footwear, each of which last me at least 3 years in the last 10-12 years.

In the middle of 2009, I found this neat pair or shoes at the Puma store on CMH road, Bangalore. Without hesitation i picked it up and conveniently stacked up the box and decided to wear that at an opportune time in October almost 4 months later. To my shock, the shoe seemed to be too tight, i did get into it though. All dressed for the occasion, I decided to take a pit stop at the Puma store. Mind you, i didn't have the bill but did have the box as neat as possible. I was expecting to have to haggle, mentally prepared to beg, plead or even fight if it got down to it.

I was honest about my purchase over 4 months ago and also told the guy behind the counter i was headed to a function for which I was wearing the shoes for the first time. To my surprise, he looked at me, looked at the shoe and said, "Sir, let me check if the size is available" and in less than ten minutes I walked out of the showroom with the correct size of the same shoe. Post this i have bought two more pairs from there and as long i don't have a bad experience, i will continue to shop at Puma.



I've had experiences with brands like shoppers' stop that completely refused to exchange a provogue trouser that I'd bought and not used for 3 months. They weren't even ready to give me a credit note.

At a time when improving customer experiences and customer experiences being the moment of truth for service based businesses seem to be the buzz words, this was clear example of doing more than talking. This approach of "no questions asked" demonstrated clearly the intent of the organization and their MO in the attempt to catch up with the more established players in the market. Keep up the good work guys!

No comments: